[uf-discuss] Re: rel -vs- rev

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 02:18:07 PST 2008

Ryan King wrote:

> In addition to this evidence, the current draft of HTML5 does not
> include rev (by design), so in the interest of building microformats on
> top of existing standards (HTML4) in a future-compatible way (HTML5) we
> should avoid using @rev.

Nor does HTML 5 include <head profile>, yet the current recommended way of
linking to XMDP profiles is through that attribute; ditto the "compact"
attribute on any type of list, which is used by XOXO; and I've already
mentioned the collision between the HTML 5 and XFN definitions of
rel="contact".

> Your characterization of the decision as "out of hand" doesn't account
> for the several years of discussion that went into it.

If there are other justifications then fair enough, but these are not
documented on the wiki, nor easily findable by Googling through the
microformats-discuss archives.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 27 days, 15:43.]

                               Bottled Water
          http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/