[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal: Sub-microformats to streamline common microformat patterns for simple data

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Thu Jan 3 18:07:04 PST 2008

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> We could simply declare, in the manner of implied-n-optimisation, that
> an hCard with no children ... defaults to the equivalent of the full mark-up
> as used above.

I wrote about this more than a year ago[1] and created some wiki pages with
examples:

  * http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implied
  * http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implied-examples
  * http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implied-brainstorming

It never got very much traction. The goal is to make it more quick and easy
to publish and capture the "personitude" (if you will) of a name and link.

Guillaume Lebleu  wrote:

> Why use the semantics of an electronic business cards standard to tag an
> entity's name?

Because that's what we've done in parts of hAtom[2], hresume[3] and probably
others since I've been more or less inattentive to this list.

The largest problem we have to deal with is one Brian Suda's criticism of
the idea[4]. Andy's solution begins where this discussion left off, but
there already has been some work done here.

[1]:
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-November/0073
46.html
[2]: http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom#Schema