[uf-discuss] Microformats "Zen Garden" project?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jun 19 05:44:04 PDT 2008

On [Jun 16], at [ Jun 16] 11:01 , Paul Shen wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm new to this community but I'd like to contribute to the
> advancements of a semantic web. Please don't bash on any of my noob
> mistakes :)
>
> I was browsing the to do list and stumbled across the "microformat
> playground" idea (http://microformats.org/wiki/zen-garden). However,
> it seems the wiki page has been untouched for at least 8 months and
> the links on the bottom point to a broken page. I think such a site
> would benefit the spread of microformats. Please tell me if such a
> site already exists.
>
> I've cooked up a quick site, temporarily available at http://uf.paulshen.name
> It runs on CakePHP and is currently using Blueprint for basic
> typography and grid (temporary.. needs a real design). As of right
> now, people can register but both registered users and guests and
> submit xhtml and styles. Entries submitted have a flag and appear on
> the site only after the entry is approved by admins. All visitors
> can vote for entries (once per IP). There are more details but
> everything can be changed (maybe even redesign from scratch).
>
> I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in working on such a
> project, perhaps as a revival of the proposal on the wiki. I'll
> gladly host and buy a domain if people are interested.

I did a little work on the initial (now broken) demo, and found there
wasn't enough interest in making submissions to be worth continuing.
You'll hopefully see better traction.  It looks like you're doing
things a bit differently, taking submissions of both style sheets and
HTML.  I think the idea earlier was more to keep the HTML relatively
fixed (like CSS Zen Garden) and accept submissions of style sheets and
JavaScripts.  Even if you keep the HTML submissions, I'd suggest
adding JavaScript submissions, as that's where things become really
interesting, for me at least.

Peace,
Scott