[uf-discuss] RE: Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as previously thought

Belov, Charles Charles.Belov at sfmta.com
Tue Jun 24 14:48:22 PDT 2008

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:03:30 -0400
>From: Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>
>Subject: [uf-discuss] Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as
>	previously	thought
>To: Microformats Discuss <microformats-discuss at microformats.org>

>There have been some interesting blog posts by people at the BBC,
>Mozilla and W3C about Microformats and RDFa in the past two days. The
>first covers BBC's decision to drop support for the abbr-based design
>pattern written by Michael Smethurst (who worked with this community on
>hAudio among other things):

>Removing abbr-based Microformats from BBC
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/06/removing_microformats_from
_bbc.shtml

I have come to a similar decision.  In my case, I will split the
human-readable portion entirely from the microformat portion, and the
microformat portion will be entirely styled display:none.

That applies to machine-intermediated content.  I feel it is
unreasonable to ask a non-technical person to produce ISO-format
dates/times, so microformats do not produce an acceptable solution at
this time for marking up meeting announcements.

Charles "Chas" Belov
SFMTA Webmaster
www.sfmta.com