[uf-discuss] RE: Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as previously thought

Guillaume Lebleu guillaume at lebleu.org
Tue Jun 24 15:17:24 PDT 2008

Belov, Charles wrote:
> I feel it is unreasonable to ask a non-technical person to produce
> ISO-format dates/times, so microformats do not produce an acceptable
> solution at this time for marking up meeting announcements.
I agree that only an editor extension would make writing ISO-format
date/time practical by humans, which I never felt was compliant with
"designed for humans first, machine second".

What about the idea of a plain old English microformat ("POEM"?) based
on well-known practices in various languages [1], in the tradition of
"paving the cows path": these practices are pretty-well established IMO
and used by authors in the newspapers, magazines, etc. For instance, in
English:

The locale could be specified locally (lang="en-us") or inherited from
the HTML document or a containing div.

Granted it would make the parsing more complex, but it would comply with
"designed for humans first, machine second".

Also, additional class would be required to distinguish the date part
from the time part in something like:

Just an idea,

Guillaume

[1] http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/date/written