[uf-discuss] The BBC case and HTML5 <time>

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 10:39:30 PDT 2008

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I found that HTML5 <time> isn't listed even as having been
> considered and rejected.

See:
http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern#HTML_5_.3Ctime.
3E_Element

Frances Berriman wrote:

> The BBC can't use HTML5.  It won't validate, it doesn't adhere to
> their standards and guidelines or their browser support levels.

Adopting <time> does not require fully switching to HTML 5.
Validation can be achieved through using a custom DTD. In terms of
browser support, I think I'm yet to encounter a browser that doesn't
treat unknown tags as effectively being the same as <span>.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>