[uf-discuss] The BBC case and HTML5 <time>

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 03:07:17 PDT 2008

On 30/06/2008, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2008, at 15:18, Frances Berriman wrote:
>

> > The BBC can't use HTML5.  It won't validate,

Sorry - I should have qualified - I meant with their current doctype.

>  HTML5 validates (in the present tense) at http://html5.validator.nu/
>
>  Moreover, if validation causes you to emit user experience-degrading markup
> in violation if the intended language semantics*, validation isn't helping
> but hurting you.
>
>  (* Let's be honest: abbr wasn't designed to expand "one hour ago" to an ISO
> date with a crufty "T" separator and time zone designators and all.)
>

> > it doesn't adhere to their standards and guidelines or
> >

>  If they are willing to consider amending their guidelines to allow RDFa,
> which is also invalid HTML 4.01/XHTML 1.0/XHTML 1.1, surely they *could*
> choose to amend their own guidelines to allow <time>.

Consider.. but hasn't happened yet :)  Yes, though, I agree in
principle  - It's never a never!

> > A core principle of microformats is that they should work with the
> > technologies available and in use *now* (HTML5 isn't widely supported
> > and isn't even a w3c recommendation yet).
> >

>  Wouldn't it make sense, though, to specify that <time> be supported as an
> alternative to <abbr> in hCalendar datetimes, so that when the community
> becomes comfortable with publishing HTML5 content, the installed base of
> parsers would already be there

Kind of.  HTML5 will afford us lots of opportunities to improve and
lighten up microformats (microformats lite?) but I think that comes
under a different piece of work.

--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com