[uf-discuss] Re: rel=tag problem

David Meade meade.dave at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 19:23:16 PST 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:58:46 -0600,  Scott Reynen <Scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
>  I believe you're wrong.  I'm not aware of any resolution to the
>  outstanding issue of multi-word tags:
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag-issues#Multi-word_tags

But the specification clearly states that spaces should be encoded
with + or %20, and wordpress is encoding them as dashes.
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag#Encoding_issues

Doesn't this symanticly change a "multiple word tag" into a
"compound-word-tag", and isn't this precisely why the specification
states that spaces should be + and %20 (as it is in the HTML
standard)?

> this is a non-issue because the meaning of tags is
>  contextually dependent on the tag space, so there's no possibility for
>  standardization around what tags mean, whether they're single- or
>  multi-word.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean here.  Since the meaning of a tag
is dependent on the space - whether its a "multiple word tag" vs a
"compound-word-tag" ... doesn't that mandate that spaces are encoded
distinctly (as both the microformat and html standard state)?

In any case thank you for the reply.  I look forward to figuring this
out, because as it stands wordpress blogs are not aggregated in the
same/correct? tag cloud space as posts from other blogging tools are
... and it seems to be because wordpress is determined to change
"multiple word tags" into "one-single-compound-word-tag" no matter
what.  It's very frustrating when trying to participate in distributed
groups/conversation/projects and you can't even manually set the
spaces correctly (as per the microformat specification stated at the
above url) and wont show up in the correct tag listings.

- Dave