[uf-discuss] [ANN:] Hypertext Friend of a Friend (hFoaF)

Martin McEvoy info at weborganics.co.uk
Wed May 14 03:35:46 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I am Pleased to announce Hypertext Friend of a Friend or hFoaF.

hFoaF came to be because I noticed a patten of people trying to
consolidate their identity's, express interests, and friends in their
user profiles and homepages using hcard[1] and a url with the XFN[2]
rel="me", marking up their friends and colleagues with simple anchor
text links and other XFN values, and expressing their interests by using
either xFolk[3] or hAtom[4].
How common is this pattern, well to be honest not many every user
profile at Ma.Gnolia[5] is marked up in this way, and Tantek's
homepage[6] is also marked up in this way. others are, Lasfm, twitter,
and nsyght Profiles but the markup (for me) is so difficult to tidy and
parse that with the exception of nsyght it is difficult extract anything
useful :(

examples:

Using the transformer available at, http://weborganics.co.uk/hFoaf/?id=

source: http://www.tantek.com/
output: http://tinyurl.com/3g4dv5

source: http://ma.gnolia.com/people/aarongustafson
output: http://tinyurl.com/3eqzya

Using GRDDL available at, http://www.w3.org/2007/08/grddl/?docAddr=

profile: http://weborganics.co.uk/Profiles/hFoaF.xsl
source: http://weborganics.co.uk/
output: http://tinyurl.com/3ucx9z

If you are interested in the source code or would like to know a little
more please visit http://weborganics.co.uk/hFoaf/

As usual comments constructive criticism welcome.
Thanks.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/xfn
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/xfolk