[uf-discuss] Lets talk about rev?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Nov 18 06:26:18 PST 2008

On [Nov 18], at [ Nov 18] 6:21 , Jason Karns wrote:

> I agree with Martin that it's sad we are unable to take advantage of
> this attribute where possible.

Fortunately, this isn't really a problem in practice.  One of the
notable characteristics of rev is that it carries the same meaning as
rel, only with reverse directionality.  This allows us to express
anything with one that we could otherwise express with the other, by
reversing the directionality of the value.  In some cases, this
reversal is simple to do, e.g. rev="son" carries pretty much the exact
same meaning as rel="father".  In other cases, it will require more
thought, but I don't believe there's any case where it's impossible;
language is rich.  So we're not really losing anything here.  We can't
do rev="reply", but we can still do rel="prompted" (i.e. that URL
prompted this reply) or something similar to indicate the same meaning.

Peace,
Scott