[uf-discuss] URL and Relative paths

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 17:45:28 PDT 2008

Hello Karsten  Welcome!

Karsten Januszewski wrote:
> Hi - I'm a developer at Microsoft working on a project that involves parsing and consuming Microformats.  I've noticed quite a few implementations of hCards out in the wild that use the url property with a relative path instead of an absolute path.
>
> Is this considered bad form?  Or is this "to spec"? I didn't see anything on the wiki about this...

I think relative urls on the whole are "bad form"  because many authors
forget to set the base url for their relative paths...

<head>
<base href="http://someurl.com/" />
[....]
</head>

I would say however that relative urls are useful in determining a sites
internal links.

I don't think the community on a whole has an opinion on that, but you
may find a few individuals that do.

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy