[uf-discuss] hRecipe implementation

Thomas Loertsch loertsch.thomas at guj.de
Wed Sep 3 03:41:37 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I'm working at "essen & trinken" [1], a fairly popular website [2] about
cooking in german. One of the main features of the site is a collection of
about 10.000 recipes, all actually tried, categorized, etc. They are
published as HTML 4 pages. We would like to make that collection more
reusable. Adding some semantics to the presentational markup looks like a
natural next step. While searching for a standard ontology we came across
the hRecipe proposal, which by and large fits well with what we have
already.

We have some categories about nutritional values that are not covered by the
current proposal [3]. If there¹s a consensus that they fall outside the
80/20 rule - and I suppose there is - what would be the right way to handle
them? Should we just add our own "microformat" for nutritional values? (We
also have more detail in the yield field which I'm quite sure belong to
/20).

Another question about the status of the format: Some postings from August
2008 [4] suggest that people are already implementing it (or derivations of
it) although I couldn¹t find them on the web. Ted, is the prototype for
Yahoo Food that you mentioned, available online? I'd be very interested in
having a look at it!

Then, last question: is there a timeframe until when a formal consensus on
hRecipe will/should be reached? Will there ever be something like a "formal"
consensus, an agreed upon recommendation? Or, in other words: is it
reasonable to wait for a final version or is it more sensible and also
'okay' to go with what has already been achieved (since the current proposal
on [3] already looks quite mature).

Regards,
Thomas

[1] rough translation: "eating & drinking"
[2] http://www.essen-und-trinken.de/
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/recipe-brainstorming
[4]
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2008-August/012392