[uf-discuss] hRecipe - one suggestion, a lot of comments

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 14:07:36 PDT 2008

Thomas Loertsch wrote:

> as I already posted here we're planning to implement hRecipe at
> "essen &
> trinken" [1]. I think hRecipe is in quite a good shape already.
> Cognition
> [2] has recently included "experimental support for the proposed
> hRecipe
> microformat" (though the document [3] is a bit vague about what
> exactly they
> make required and optional respectively).

I've put together slightly better documentation of Cognition's
support for it here:

http://buzzword.org.uk/cognition/uf-plus.html#hrecipe

> * Suggestion: idle period / off-time / rest period / unattended time

Perhaps preparation-time could be made into a plural type+value
property (like "tel" in hCard).

   <abbr class="value" title="PT5M">10 mins</abbr>
   <abbr class="value" title="PT25M">25 mins</abbr>
   <abbr class="value" title="PT35M">35 mins</abbr>

> TobyInk proposes an optimization for Ingredient which makes sense,
> but...
> first I wonder how much harder the optimization makes it to develop
> parsers.

It's very little effort to implement, but saves a lot of typing when
publishing recipes, especially when there are a lot of ingredients.
Implementation is easy by just performing a tiny pre-processing step.
(Code below in Javascript, assumes that the hRecipe root element is
"hroot". Should be very easy to port to other DOM-compatible languages.)

	var nodes = hroot.getElementsByClassName('ingredients');
	for (var i=0; nodes[i]; i++)
	{
	  var kids = nodes[i].getChildrenByTagName('*');
	  for (var j=0; kids[j]; j++)
	    { kids[j].className += " ingredient"; }
	}

Pretty easy. And if you think it's a bit messy to change the DOM tree
prior to parsing, you should realise that most parsers make a lot of
DOM changes prior to the proper parsing stage in order to implement
the include pattern.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>