[uf-discuss] ISO Dates and Durations using Style

Sarven Capadisli csarven at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 13:40:35 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
> If any style sheet language can be used, why don't microformats create their
> own style language eg:

> or something similar, parsers can just as easily determine values from
> @style as they can any other property.

Interesting.

For HTML 4, AFAIK, the intention of a style sheet language is to
provide a way to *present* an existing structure. It is not meant to
bring in additional structure or semantics. Having said that, this is
not the case in XHTML 1 with XSLT. I may be misinterpreting and so it
would be nice to hear what everyone else have to say about this.

Creating a style sheet language just for microformats goes out of the
way of trying to work within existing standards. If we were to say
okay to this, I'm sure there are plenty of ways where we could extend
the representation of microformats (which will most likely go against
the principles).

Placing data that is intended for the machines inside @style is bound
to run into the same arguments against @title (even though I don't
personally believe the information in @title is intended for machines)