[uf-discuss] Organization Confusion

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Aug 3 18:53:18 PDT 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Bradley Ramos wrote:

> I am having a little trouble semantically setting up some hCard
> data. I am writing contact information for the official website of
> the Department of Transportation Services, which is part of the City
> & County of Honolulu. Therefore, ideally I would like "DTS" to be
> class="fn organization-unit", while "C&CoH" is organization-name.
> However, the spec only allows an implied n if fn and organization-
> name are the same, but this is not correct for my situation. How
> should I format it? Thanks for your help!

The implied value of N when FN and ORG have the same value is empty.
The implied value of N when no N is present is also empty.  So you're
not losing anything on N by not doing FN and ORG in the same element.
You may be losing some specific functionality in tools that don't know
what to do with a card describing an organization unit rather than an
organization (relatively uncommon), but I wouldn't expect general
problems.

Peace,
Scott