[uf-discuss] hCard, "photo" element: Inlined or embedded images according to rfc 2397?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 03:59:11 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Tobias Prinz <tobiasprinz at gmx.net> wrote:
> I think the most convenient way to do this would be using an inline(*) image
> within the html page. ...

> So, here is the question: Does hCard actually support this?

--- it should yes. The vCard allows you to have BASE64 encoded data.
If you put a URL in there, most address book applications ignore it.

> This is allowed because w3c allows
> any kind of URI as source for the src attribute of an image, and rfc2397
> defines the data url scheme. And quick tests showed me that it works in all
> browsers I have installed. Yay!

--- I have been using the data uri scheme on my site
http://suda.co.uk/contact/ and i didn't think that the data uri worked
in all versions of IE, instead they got a broken image.

Please post your findings on the wiki so we can document browser and
PIM usage and acceptance.

> P.S.: Is there no way to search the mailing lists? I could not find one, so
> I stuck with google:

That or some of the other mailing list archiving applications are the
best way to search the mail archives.

-brian

--
brian suda