[uf-discuss] Marking up properties which reused pre-existing microformat

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 14 15:53:12 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Glenn Jones <glenn.jones at madgex.com> wrote:

> One of the problems I am see a lot with hResume is now properties which
> reused pre-existing microformat are mark-up.
>
> A good example is "education" in hResume which is hCalendar, I believe
> it should be mark-up like so:

>        (<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
> class="dtend">1988</span>)

Yes.  This is an example of the common modular use of a microformat to
provide additional structure to the property value of another
microformat.

> The education property is a hCalendar and as such the same class
> attribute should carry both "education" and "vevent". I have built my
> parser to look for this type of pattern, but quite a few authors on the
> web are using mark-up like this

>                (<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
> class="dtend">1988</span>)

Could you provide URLs to a few of the "quite a few authors" that
you've found doing this, perhaps in the Examples In The Wild section?

http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Examples_in_the_wild

If it's a common errant pattern, we should document it as step one of
deciding what to do next.

> Breaking apart the "education" and "vevent" into separate element class
> attributes. Correct if I am wrong but only the first pattern should be
> supported by parsers.

That's correct, per the hResume schema and field details:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Schema

"education. optional One or more hcalendar events with the class name
'education', with an embedded hCard indicating the name of school,
address of school etc."

note the distinction between "... events *with* the class name
'education'" and "an *embedded* hCard indicating ... "

The example given in the spec demonstrates an hCalendar event with the
class name 'education':

http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Education

<ol class="vcalendar">
  <li class="education vevent">
    <a class="url summary" href="http://example.edu/">Preston High School</a>
    (<abbr class="dtstart" title="2001-01-24">2001</abbr> - <abbr
class="dtend" title="2005-05-25">2005</abbr>)
  </li>

> Either I need to update my parser or the wiki needs some good pointers
> on how properties which reused pre-existing microformat are mark-up.

The above description and example are from the hResume spec on the
wiki - if you have ideas for either improving those examples or more
illustrative examples that would have helped, certainly add
suggestions to the feedback page!

http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume-feedback

Thanks Glenn,

Tantek