[uf-discuss] Marking up properties which reused pre-existing microformat

Rafael García Lepper rafael.g.lepper at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:19:24 PST 2009

El 15/12/2009, a las 00:53, Tantek Çelik escribió:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Glenn Jones <glenn.jones at madgex.com> wrote:
>>
>> One of the problems I am see a lot with hResume is now properties which
>> reused pre-existing microformat are mark-up.
>>
>> A good example is "education" in hResume which is hCalendar, I believe
>> it should be mark-up like so:

>>        (<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
>> class="dtend">1988</span>)
>
> Yes.  This is an example of the common modular use of a microformat to
> provide additional structure to the property value of another
> microformat.
>

>> The education property is a hCalendar and as such the same class
>> attribute should carry both "education" and "vevent". I have built my
>> parser to look for this type of pattern, but quite a few authors on the
>> web are using mark-up like this

>>                (<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
>> class="dtend">1988</span>)
>
> Could you provide URLs to a few of the "quite a few authors" that
> you've found doing this, perhaps in the Examples In The Wild section?
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Examples_in_the_wild
>
> If it's a common errant pattern, we should document it as step one of
> deciding what to do next.
>

>> Breaking apart the "education" and "vevent" into separate element class
>> attributes. Correct if I am wrong but only the first pattern should be
>> supported by parsers.
>
> That's correct, per the hResume schema and field details:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Schema
>
> "education. optional One or more hcalendar events with the class name
> 'education', with an embedded hCard indicating the name of school,
> address of school etc."
>
> note the distinction between "... events *with* the class name
> 'education'" and "an *embedded* hCard indicating ... "
>
> The example given in the spec demonstrates an hCalendar event with the
> class name 'education':
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume#Education
>
> <ol class="vcalendar">
>  <li class="education vevent">
>    <a class="url summary" href="http://example.edu/">Preston High School</a>
>    (<abbr class="dtstart" title="2001-01-24">2001</abbr> - <abbr
> class="dtend" title="2005-05-25">2005</abbr>)
>  </li>
>

>> Either I need to update my parser or the wiki needs some good pointers
>> on how properties which reused pre-existing microformat are mark-up.
>
> The above description and example are from the hResume spec on the
> wiki - if you have ideas for either improving those examples or more
> illustrative examples that would have helped, certainly add
> suggestions to the feedback page!
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume-feedback

I don't understand why you are being so unflexible, the definition sure tells to do it this way, but it is a draft, and in case of multiple education events the mark-up would end up like this

	(<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
class="dtend">1988</span>)
	(<span class="dtstart">1989</span> - <span
class="dtend">1992</span>)

isn't this pattern redundant repeating the class education? wouldn't it be much cleaner this way?

		(<span class="dtstart">1985</span> - <span
class="dtend">1988</span>)
	(<span class="dtstart">1989</span> - <span
class="dtend">1992</span>)

Is it so difficult to parse it this way?

Regards

Rafael G. Lepper