[uf-discuss] Microformat for programming language reference?

James Tindall james at atomless.com
Sat Jan 17 09:43:23 PST 2009

I do use pre and code elements when marking up code in html but that's
not really what I meant. What I mean is that when I look at pages like
this:
http://processing.org/reference/index_ext.html
It leaves me wondering whether many of the other scripting languages
like php, ruby, javascript, actionscript and python could each be
visually displayed in a similar way and using standardised class names
and markup structure for the methods and functions that are common
throughout each language? A standardised markup format (uf) for this
kind of programming language reference page would I think be quite useful.

James

Mr. Meitar Moscovitz wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2009, at 3:24 AM, Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>> Maybe with some class attributes on the <code> elements.
>
> I prefer to use a block like

> unless the code is inline within a paragraph already. However, I've
> also seen the above pattern with the class name on the <pre> element
> instead of the <code> element, and I've seen this done without the
> <code> element at all. Not really sure which is "best," though the
> first seems the most straightforward to me.
>
> My 2¢.
>
> -Meitar Moscovitz
> Personal: http://maymay.net
> Professional: http://MeitarMoscovitz.com