[uf-discuss] Microformat for programming language reference?

James Tindall james at atomless.com
Sun Jan 18 06:56:32 PST 2009

Hi Ben,

I agree with Ilya that for some of the popular scripting languages the
task would be huge. But such an effort would not necessarily need to
cover all of the idiosyncrasies at the dark edges of each of these
languages. To be useful it need only map the common core, most often
used functions like those dealing with strings, text, arrays and the
more common math methods.

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud really but to aid the process of
switching between languages, a consistent, standard and semantic markup
format and the resulting consistency in presentation would surely be a
good thing?

James

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On 17/1/09 17:43, James Tindall wrote:
>> It leaves me wondering whether many of the other scripting languages
>> like php, ruby, javascript, actionscript and python could each be
>> visually displayed in a similar way and using standardised class names
>> and markup structure for the methods and functions that are common
>> throughout each language?
>
> I'm not sure precisely what information you're looking to extract from
> programming language documentation.
>
> Perhaps an example would help. What information you'd want to extract
> from each of these pages?
>
> http://uk3.php.net/manual/fr/function.implode.php
>
> http://uk3.php.net/manual/fr/language.types.string.php
>
> http://uk2.php.net/manual/fr/class.domdocument.php