[uf-discuss] Practicality of @rel='tag'

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 7 10:47:47 PST 2009

Hi,

I've been trying to use hResume for my CV, and while mostly it has
been logical enough, the use of @rel='tag' for @class='skill' doesn't
seem so sensible.

Firstly, what does @rel='tag' aim to achieve? The spec makes it seem
like semantics for the point of semantics.

Assuming the use would be to allow people to query, e.g., databases
containing CVs based upon skills, it seems to (by its distributed
nature) fail. If I were to list as a skill "Namespaces in XML" there
would be two obvious URIs I could use for it — both with different
final segments — <http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names> would result in "xml-
names", whereas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Namespaces> would
result in "XML_Namespaces".

By having (at least) two different tags for one object, what have we
gained by having such tagging at all? What is gained over just using

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>