[uf-discuss] Re: An Inconvenient hCard

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Wed May 20 10:25:19 PDT 2009

On 20 May 2009, at 04:44, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Mirko Gustony <mirko.gustony at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> making my way through the microformats I stumbled upon the
>> type-internationalisation issue. Are there any news how to mark up a
>> type for fax in microformats without misusing abbr?
>
> There's recently been a lot of work on the value-class-pattern [1]
>
> One of the examples is given as follows:

>      mobile
>
> This would seem to have obvious uses for i18n.

Correct. The pattern is part-written for this exact user case (As a
Brit, I've been loathe to the ‘cell’ / ‘mobile’ issue since I first
got into microformats.)

The value-class-pattern is valid for `type` in `tel`, and also in
`adr` and `email`. FWIW, whilst we inherited these structures from
vcard, I'm confident we will never create anything like it again. The
community is more internationalisation aware now.

A remaining to-do task for the pattern development is to update
examples in the specs and related documents (datetimes and
enumerations alike).

Feedback much appreciated on the pattern (but please see the short http://microformats.org/wiki/value-class-pattern#FAQ
  as well.)

Ben