[uf-discuss] Problem with using class tel

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 21:11:13 PDT 2009

Hi Volvox,

On 27 Sep 2009, at 14:20, Volvox wrote:

> But what if i dont want "Cell" word, and i would like diffrent? Do i
> really have to hide this 'type' span and make another before 'tel'
> with my text?

> class="type">Cell</span>999 999 999</div>
> Or maybe anyone got better ideas?

Two options:

1. You do not have to include the ‘type’ at all. You can just do:

I feel that it is, at that this point in history, increasingly
irrelevant whether a telephone number is a mobile telephone or a
landline. The ‘work’ and ‘fax’ indications are more relevant, perhaps.

2. You can embed the type using the value-class-pattern <http://microformats.org/wiki/value-class-pattern

Like so:

span></span>

Telephone type is one of the properties for which this pattern is valid.

> Why in telephones there is mandatory text in object with class 'type'?

It's not mandatory. The structure is inherited from vcard's property
semantics in combination with the microformats principal of visible
data. However, I agree that this particular detail was a massive
internationalisation oversight to require en-us strings in page
content. Requiring language specific visible content should be
regarded as an anti-pattern for all future microformats developments.

Ben