[uf-discuss] hProduct/hReview issue

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 11:18:55 PDT 2010

On 16 Apr 2010, at 05:49, Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 12:57 +0100, George Brocklehurst wrote:
>> There is an issue with using hProduct and hReview together:  An
>> hProduct can include one or more hReviews. Each hReview requires an
>> item, which should be the hProduct. The include-pattern prohibits
>> references to an ancestor. Therefore it is not clear how to include a
>> valid hReview in an hProduct.
>
> The other possibility would be to relax the requirement for hReview to
> contain an item when it's obvious from context; the context in this case
> being that the hReview is within an hProduct.
>
> There is a similar concern re hProduct and hListing IIRC.

This ties closely to some work I started documenting last year on “containers” in general. That being, the pattern where you have a number of microformats in a page applied to the same ‘item’, or more generally, where properties of the main subject of a page are shared by multiple microformat objects (such as, a TV listings page contains many `vevents`, they all share the same `location` (the channel name).)

Could be worth adding to that documentation the `hProduct contains hReviews` pattern with that. As ever, further thoughts on the modelling are appreciated.

http://microformats.org/wiki/container-brainstorming

Ben