[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu Apr 5 07:56:11 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Yes I have seen and used Songbird it has been inspiring and excellent at
> what it does....but not everyone is likely to use Songbird (just yet) as
> their choice player and I would like my visitors to be able to play the
> content of my website regardless of which web browser or player they
> use.

media-info will definitely solve this problem once it is finalized. That
being said, does that invalidate the need for Music Download
microformat? Based on Stephen and your problem definition for Music
Download, and with your addition below, I think it does.

> isn't rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" sufficient enough to do this
> then? maybe just adding length="198000" or something ?

That is a good, simple solution. 'rel' and 'type' are standard <a>
elements and would aid a browser in recognizing that you are talking
about an MP3 file... Amarok/iTunes could detect an hAtom/hReview combo
with a type="audio/mpeg" link. It would be difficult for it to recognize
artist/track information - wouldn't it? Wouldn't that have to be
standardized to some degree? While we can use hAtom/hReview to do this -
it seems a bit like a band-aid... media-info being the real solution to
this problem. Do you agree or disagree?

The Atom standard defines "length" for content, so it wouldn't be a
stretch to imagine that being an optional element of hAtom? The question
is... do we want to add that to hAtom? Probably not at this point - this
seems to be the only supporting case of needing to define length.