[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 16:06:31 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 17:56 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > Yes I was referring more to this problem, a was thinking more along the
> > lines of playing the content in a music player such as iTunes or Amarok
> > directly from a blog or Artist's website and being able to read a review
> > about the track you are listening to either as a feed or by viewing the
> > web page its self.
>
> Have you used Songbird yet, Martin? It is a great use case example of
> what you are describing. It gets the information by ripping the MP3s off
> of a site and reading their IDv3 tags. After talking with their
> developers and some of the Firefox guys - they seem more keen on using
> media-info to do this than Music Download.

Yes I have seen and used Songbird it has been inspiring and excellent at
what it does....but not everyone is likely to use Songbird (just yet) as
their choice player and I would like my visitors to be able to play the
content of my website regardless of which web browser or player they
use.

> I think the use case you are looking at supporting is more of a
> Democracy Player/Songbird angle on the problem? Subscribe to an RSS feed
> or point it at a web page and the player automatically identifies the
> media on the page for playback? Am I understanding you correctly?
>
> > From what I understand so far is this about the actual file itself?
> > maybe the media-info should relate more to the metadata attached to the
> > file itself and should follow the lines if already widely used formats
> > such as idv3.
>
> media-info is less about the actual file itself, and more about the
> metadata regarding the file: artist, title, publisher, runtime length,
> associated image data, etc.

right! I get it :)

> There is some discussion if media-info should include the file
> information as well - we might want to split that into a separate
> microformat. The format of a file has very little to do with what the
> file is about. For example: a song can be represented as an MP3 audio
> file, or an MPEG-2 music video.

isn't rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" sufficient enough to do this
then? maybe just adding length="198000" or something ?

> I don't know if Music Download is about the file itself or the metadata
> associated with the file. Or both?

I think maybe both.
but not all audio is music it could be speech or sound effects so maybe
not....hmm

Its such a broad spectrum to consider that I think we will have no
choice but to create both.