[uf-new] new html tags

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:45:06 PDT 2007

On 09/08/07, Alexandre Van de Sande <alexandrevandesande at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-html5/?ca=dgr-lnxw01NewHTML
>
> new html tags are coming in hml for. Those include semanticall-tags such as
> with hAtom and hMeasurements.
>
> What does it means for microformats? do we change the already established
> rules?
>
> --

You've kind of got to look at microformats as a bit of an interim
solution until those versions of html are available (and lets be
honest, it's not going to happen tomorrow).  They're just patching up
some holes where (x)HTML isn't exact enough for our needs.

When they're done and in use (HTML 5, say), I agree that I can imagine
a movement towards version 2 of many of the existing formats to make
use of the new, much more semantic elements first - which means that
"version 2 microformats" will probably be a lot leaner.  The "old"
microformats will still work with "old" HTML 4 or XHTML 1, and
probably with whatever is in the newer versions (@rev is the main one
that comes to mind that might be a bit sticky, mind you) - they just
won't be *optimal* in future cases.

It's not cause for concern though.  We're working with what's
available *now* in today's technology, not in 3 years time.

--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com