[uf-new] Microformat for implementing RFC2119

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:36:42 PDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Scott Reynen <scott at makedatamakesense.com> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Dr Orlovsky MA wrote:
>
> > I. Background and the problem
> > ------------------------------
> > I've been looking into the possibility to semantically markup
> > RFC2119 [1] keywords (like MUST, SHOULD BE etc) in the HTML version of
> > some technical specifications. The problem is that none of the
> > existing
> > HTML 4.10 and proposed HTML5 tags are suitable enough for this task.
>
> It sounds like you just want plain old semantic HTML, not a
> microformat.

i was thinking about this off and on the last few days, and this is
probably an excellent example of the <dfn> element.

<dfn title="This word, or the terms 'REQUIRED' or 'SHALL', mean that
the definition is an absolute requirement of the
specification.">MUST</dfn>

<dfn title="This word, or the adjective 'OPTIONAL', mean that an item
is truly optional.">MAY</dfn>

-brian

--
brian suda