[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #3: published-date is redundant

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Thu Aug 16 23:11:24 PDT 2007

I'm concerned that it won't be possible to mix hAtom and hAudio as flexibly
as I'd like with this but it might be for the best. The main problem I see
is that it would be hard to share elements between hAudio and hAtom (such as
entry-title and audio-title) because to prevent the audio's published being
confused for the entry's published the audio's published needs to be inside
entry-content or entry-summary.

Consider this pseudo-xhtml:
  <h1 class="entry-title">
    (<span class="published">1977</span>)
  </h1>

One approach would be to put the whole hAudio inside the entry-content so it
is hidden from the hAtom, but then we couldn't mark up the title with the
semantic information in it.

I know there are ways to fiddle with the nesting to get this specific case
right but I think it's just a little too fiddly and the meaning of
"published" in Atom is sufficiently different from its meaning as it relates
to audio that mixing the two is not ideal.

Ian

On 8/5/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> Skipping haudio ISSUE #2 because we don't have halbum done yet. halbum
> might also use audio-title, or album-title. Use of FN or SUMMARY could
> conflict. We'll revisit hAudio ISSUE #2 when we have halbum in a more
> stable state.
>
> hAudio ISSUE #3:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-issues#published-date_Property
>
> published-date is a duplicate of the PUBLISHED property found-in hAtom.
> This can be collapsed to a single property name or dtstart, from
> hCalendar.
>
> Possible Solutions
>
>    1. Use PUBLISHED instead
>    2. Use DTSTART instead
>    3. One of the two above, and make published an hCalendar event
>
> I suggest that we use PUBLISHED and not make it an hCalendar event to
> stay in line with how PUBLISHED is defined in hAtom. It should use the
> date-time-design-pattern.If you are involved in hAudio (or want to be),
> please give the list an "AGREE/+1" or disagree with a line of reasoning.
>
> -- manu

Ian McKellar <http://ian.mckellar.org/>
+1 415 867 9255
ian at mckellar.org: email | jabber | msn
ianloic: flickr | aim | yahoo | skype | linkedin | etc.