[uf-new] Re: Microformat for implementing RFC2119

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 26 09:17:23 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07 2:20 AM, "Edward O'Connor" <hober0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've written up my thoughts on marking up RFC 2119 terms in semantic
> HTML. Like Scott, I don't think a microformat is necessary, and like
> Brian, I think <dfn> gets you most of the way there. But then I stayed
> up real late writing it all up in detail. Whee! Here you go:
>
>       http://edward.oconnor.cx/2007/08/marking-up-rfc2119-text

Note also existing established practice:

 http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#RFC

Ted, you may wish to consider incorporating W3C's markup of RFC 2119 terms
rather a new proposal.

IMHO there is no need for a new microformat for this.  Following W3C's
established practice, and Edward O'Connor's suggestion for the initial
paragraph, appears to be sufficient for all uses cases noted earlier.

I've collected W3C's markup/styling and Ted's suggestions here:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/rfc-2119

Ted, feel free to add your POSH initial paragraph markup suggestion directly
to the wiki.

Thanks,

Tantek