[uf-new] Use of img in rel-* (with analyzed data)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 15 14:56:07 PDT 2007

On 7/15/07 2:45 PM, "Manu Sporny" <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> We have collected quite a bit of data (and continue to do so) that shows
> that mis-use of @alt isn't as wide-spread as previously asserted. In
> fact, it falls quite short of the Microformat community's 80/20 rule. If
> I wasn't clear about that previously, here's a re-cap:
>
> As of right now, it looks as though roughly 80-90% of websites are using
> @alt correctly, either by not specifying a value or by specifying valid
> data in the attribute.

Actually no.  As several others have pointed out, the methodologies you used
to gather "quite a bit of data" and the conclusions you reached are
seriously flawed for a number of reasons.

You cannot determine that they are "specifying valid data in the attribute"
unless you inspect the value of the attribute and the page itself *by hand*
to determine whether from a human perspective proper semantics are being
followed.  I believe other folks (some with accessibility expertise) have
already pointed this out.

Tantek