[uf-new] microformat granularity: currency and measure

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Thu Jul 19 14:08:20 PDT 2007

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> My contention is that published amounts of money - such as those
> listed as examples on the wiki, and others - often include a symbol,
> that symbol may be obscure, or take the form of a letter which is
> indistinguishable from other text. It may occur before, in the middle,
> or following numbers.
>
> Only by marking it up can we be sure that parsers know to remove it
> when converting to an alternative currency.
>
> The same applies to "value" in words (as in "five pounds" or "10 cents").

I looked again at some of the examples. It seems to me that if a "value"
or "amount" class name clearly separates the symbol, if any, from the
value, then parsing should be fine.

Moreover, it seemed to me that when the dollar symbol or cents symbol is
used, its meaning may more correctly be viewed as the unit of the
currency, instead of the symbol of the currency.

For instance, in "¢2.1 USD", the currency is "USD", and the unit is "¢",
but "¢" is not the symbol of currency "USD".

Guillaume