[uf-new] MicroFormats for (Music-)TopLists, htop-list?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 07:55:32 PDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> You could loosely accomplish what you are trying to do with XOXO +
> hAudio, or XOXO + hReview, or XOXO + hReview + hAudio.

--- HTML also has a special element for lists of ordered things, the
<OL> so above and beyond XOXO, you should also consider using <OL>

> The semantics
> wouldn't be rock-solid (it would be difficult to get Firefox 3 to
> understand that when it sees those two or three things together, it is a
> top-list instead of a playlist).

--- this is true, no one knows what FF3 will do and i don't think we
should worry about it. If you look at the current Operator Plug-in,
there is an arctitechture for 'user scripts' this could also mean that
there could/should/will be a market for custom scripts which are more
robust than others. Just look at how Tails and Operator compete NOT on
specs, but on features... once all the plug-ins can correctly parse
microformats, then it is the 'extras' like "send to ...", or "merge
with ...". Those features will make one plug-in/script more popular
than the others.

So i would think that if combinations of microformats, such as hCards
as Venues in hCalendar events, or XOXO lists of hCards as a group, or
XOXO lists of Media, become popular, wide-spread, and commonly
published, then a script will be written to harness those nested
features, and make one plugin/script more "popular" than another.

i wouldn't worry about any of these details at the spec level. We
should be conserned about adding the semantics and interoperability
between all the different properties in different microformats...
how/when/what plugins do with this data can be driven my market needs
and wants.

Popular combinations will see growth and survive, not so popular items
won't, but they weren't that popular to start with, and un-popular
combination didn't have time spent on them which is better spent
elsewhere. It is very bottom-up rather than a top-down approach, which
fits nicely with the microformats philosophy.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk