[uf-new] title vs. summary (was: Third attempt at hAudio)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Fri Jun 8 05:29:34 PDT 2007

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In message <007501c7a968$749e1ac0$0201a8c0 at andrieuhome>, Joe Andrieu
> <joe at andrieu.net> writes
>
>> Most individual audio in the examples are songs. Songs have titles.
>> The four examples above are NOT summaries.  I don't know how one could
>> consider "Beethoven's Ninth Sympony" or "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35"
>> summaries. The summary for "Hey Joe" could be "A blues song where the
>> singer kills Joe for sleeping with his woman, then flees to Mexico."
>> But the /title/ of the song is clearly "Hey Joe".
>
> Absolutely. That's a matter of semantics. Isn't one of the main ideas
> behind both microformats and, "POSH", to get the semantics *right*?

Andy and Joe are exactly right. This is the point - we didn't get the
semantics of 'title' right the first time. Brian is also right - it's
unfortunate, but what is done is done. Title is being used for vcard and
we can't deprecate or replace it without a tremendous amount of backlash.

I think we can still fix this without impacting any of the Microformats,
here's how:

We update the definition of 'title' as it relates to all Microformats from:

TITLE: Job title or functional position of the object.

TITLE: The distinguishing name of a book, poem, picture, piece of music,
 job title, or functional position of an object or the like.

This seems to address all of the concerns raised thus far:

* It doesn't affect hcard, hcalendar, or any of the others.
* It brings the definition more in line with the way the English
  language defines it.
* It frees up 'title' to be used in other Microformats.

Thoughts?