[uf-new] div class for "service links"?

D Chudnov daniel.chudnov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:53:20 PDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:35 PM, D Chudnov wrote:
> > I want to be able to dynamically mix in the exact services I subscribe
> > to whenever I see one of these, and I want institutions like libraries
> > to be able to mix in the kinds of stuff they're doing with OpenURL
> > right there, too, but it shouldn't take a lot of work.  If, for every
> > time anybody publishes one of those "boxes of service links", we could
> > at least identify that "this is where the service links go", we could
> > make quite a bit of progress toward this goal.
>
> This seems like a use case better addressed with browser add ons with
> the UI in the browser chrome.
>
> And, you could do it without anyone changing their markup. Just
> create a browser extension that looks for every anchor tag with
> rel="bookmark" and gives you a shortcut to bookmark/digg/search that
> URL.

The problem with that is that not every site with sets of service
links on its pages uses rel="bookmark", and that not every site has
the same kinds of links (bookmarks or otherwise), so there isn't any
one standard thing to look for.  They're all just service links,
broadly defined, so imho we'd just need something that says that
explicitly.

> > It could be as easy as "<div class='service-links'>blah blah
> > blah</div>".   Or class="serviceable".  Or something more uf-ish like
> > "hServices".
>
> On the other hand, though I still don't think this would be worthy of
> a microformat, it would be very useful (to me, at least) for someone
> to document the markup patterns with these tools.

This kind of mixed message is very confusing, and, frankly, a bit
insulting.  Either it's interesting enough for people to think it's
worth going through the process, or it's not.  If it's worth going
through the process, then there has to be a chance of a positive
outcome.  Why would anybody go through the trouble of doing the work
if you make it clear up front that you think it's not worthy?

  -Dan