[uf-new] ISBN, ISSN and the case for moving forward now

Alexander Graf alexander.graf at deri.org
Sun Mar 18 05:08:45 PST 2007

On 18.03.2007, at 13:53, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> It's my understanding that 10-digit ISBNs (a published in millions
> of books and journals and many thousands, if not millions, of
> websites) are still valid. Can you provide specific a citation
> otherwise, please?

Hi Andy,

the  citation was in my mail:

> As of January 1, 2007, all book and book-related products must
> carry 13-digit ISBNs.
> All 10-digit ISBNs in circulation will have the 3-digit EAN prefix
> "978" added (which currently represents the book industry). This 13-
> digit ISBN is already represented, and will be identical, to
> current EAN bar codes carrying ISBN with the "978" prefix.
> All 10-digit ISBNs must be converted to the 13-digit format and all
> systems will need to accommodate its use in this format. To easily
> convert your 10-digit ISBNs to 13-digits use a conversion utility.

or: http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/transition.asp

Of course systems should still read 10 digit ISBNs, but only 13 digit
ISBNs are issued.

This is not a problem for your proposed microformat per se, but I
just wanted to make sure
everyone involved in the discussion which will start around your isbn
format is up to date
on current ISBN standards. Also a extension which reads ISBN numbers
automatically convert any 10 digit ISBNs to their 13 digits
equivalent for use with other

I think disallowing 10 digit ISBNs in the microformat is not a good
idea as there may be
websites that want to mark up their existing ISBN lists.

Alexander Graf

DERI Innsbruck
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
ICT Technologiepark, Technikerstrasse 21a
6020 Innsbruck, Austria

mail: alexander.graf at deri.org
web:  www.deri.at