[uf-new] ISBN, ISSN and the case for moving forward now

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Mar 18 13:09:15 PST 2007

In message
<1406bb8f0703180731x10375aa0hf897d5d413eb7589 at mail.gmail.com>, Benjamin
Melançon <pwgdarchive at gmail.com> writes

>Is there an ISBN lookup service?

If you want to enter an ISBN and find the title and author, etc., then
you can use the Wikipedia service in my original post.

For the reverse, you need to find the book in a library catalogue,
on-line bookshop (such as Amazon) or suchlike, Note that books published
before 1974 do not have ISBNs (there's an interesting case to be made
for retrospectively  issuing them but this isn't the place for that).

Note that ISBN have been assigned for almost 35 years in over 150
countries or territories. I don't know many millions that amounts too,
but I'd wager that the vast majority are published on-line, at least
once, and often many thousands of times.

--
Andy Mabbett
                  <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>

             Ten-day moderation delays amount to a defacto ban!