[uf-new] feedback wanted on property listing microformat

Michael Biven michael.biven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:43:07 PST 2007

On 3/19/07, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> specifically, what is it about hListing that does not cover houses?

To me it seems that hListing is trying to do too much, almost as if
instead of having hCard and hCalendar we got hPIM instead. After
looking at the hListing proposal it looks to be limited in the
available fields because it is trying to do too much rather than focus
on one  type to better support its unique requirements.

Basically by focusing on just the real estate listings it would be
simpler to add the needed fields there rather than adding a bunch to
hListing standard. And this isn't just for houses, but anything (land,
condos, commercial property etc) that might be in a MLS system or in
the real estate section of the classifieds.

> can you give specific listing so we can examine it with hListing and
> see what is missing? then we can walk through it and see if other
> microformats cover those areas NOT addressed by hListing.

http://glarhomes.com/(vlwbm0553oibtw55tzfx3v55)/propertyDetails.aspx?mls=1154360

As for what is missing I think my comment below explains my thinking best.

> I've spent my fair share of time playing with MLS data to know that
> Bathroom count and Room count are all just a FRACTION of what comes
> out of the database, at some point a microformats will ONLY address
> the common aspects each listing and not necessarily the complete
> profile.

Exactly! Like I said in the original post I'm working with a MLS
system right now and I've seen the differences, both large and small,
in the schema's between some MLS systems. For example some will just
use "total sq ft." while others will use the ANSI above-grade,
below-grade and "total living area" standards instead.

It is those exact differences in the schema between MLS systems and
the lack of them sometimes in classifieds, Craigslist or eBay that I
think can be addressed by a microformat focused on real estate
listings.

Thanks!

Michael B.

--