[uf-new] First draft of hAudio proposal

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed May 2 08:58:03 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 09:55 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > Manu first I would like to say that I understand what you are trying to
> > do with the "."  my example would be class="collection" the parent or
> > group, class="collection.Track_1" is my child or item,
> > class="collection.Track_2" is another child or item, It simpler and
> > "works" but I don't think it will be widely accepted, It goes against
> > the grain for me because it is machine data, hidden, not people data
> > visible and easy to style.
>
> It would be very simple to use a 'collection-item' paradigm - but that
> doesn't address the problem of sparse collections of audio recordings.
> If you are going to weigh in with proposed solutions, please familiarize
> yourself with the grouping-examples page first (I know you've done this,
> Martin. The statement is intended to some of the others on the list that
> might want to weigh in on the discussion, but might not know about the
> prior analysis work):
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-examples
>
>     * 100% of examples contained some form of grouping
>     * 67%: ordered
>     * 65%: unordered
>     * 62%: non-sparse
>     * 54%: sparse
>
> As the analysis shows - we need a solution that can do both sparse and
> non-sparse grouping. All of the non-name-space-based solutions proposed
> thus far do not support sparse grouping.

Manu please help me out here because I am having difficulty
understanding your logic?

As you know I do not disagree with your proposal for collections but...

To me the ".", period, or hidden class, in xml/xhtml is a known empty
element i.e they create a space along with "a-b" "a_b" and "a~b"

If I wanted to connect two items I would use "a|b" "a/b" "a:b" or "a,b"
you can also use "a?b" "a&b" as connectors

so why have you chose "." a period to describe your relationships in a
collection?