[uf-new] First draft of hAudio proposal

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Wed May 2 18:26:04 PDT 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> Note that the song should be grouped with the podcast AND the album.
> That understanding is clear from viewing the page:
> http://www.coverville.com/archives/2007/04/coverville_313.html

The podcast can already use hAtom.  Here's how we could do grouping
on each individual album/song (with generic class names that are
irrelevant here):

3FASIN=B0007YMUS4%26tag=askbriancom%26lcode=xm2%26cID=2025%
26ccmID=165953%26location=/o/ASIN/B0007YMUS4%
253FSubscriptionId=02ZH6J1W0649DTNS6002" target="_blank" class="album-
title">Seconds</a></td>

> Again, note that there isn't clear hierarchy - songs belong to the
> podcast, shows and albums listed on the page. One song can be a
> part of
> three groups:
> http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/archives/2007/03/24/rc-113/

I'm not sure what the "show" is here outside the podcast (which can
use hAtom).  The album grouping could be marked up like so:

			<h2 id="post-531"><a href="http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/
archives/2007/03/24/rc-113/" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link:
Radio Clash 113: From Brussels With Love TWI 007 / Cuddle the Present
mk2" class="album-title">Radio Clash 113: From Brussels With Love TWI
007 / Cuddle the Present mk2</a></h2>

				[...]

> Note that descriptions on the page can have many different
> groupings of
> the content on the page. In this example, the band is related to or
> grouped with television shows (which are groups in and of themselves),
> bands are also groups with other bands:
> http://www.bitmunk.com/view/media/6068744

This is a page about a single album, and the same kind of album-track
markup above would work.  The TV shows don't specify which songs were
played on which shows, so even if we considered that within scope
here (which I think is a stretch) we couldn't mark up the show-track
grouping at all, because it's not published.

> This one is especially important. Note that the album is described
> first, then the top songs as an ordered list, then what the listeners
> also bought, and then finally the songs that are related to the album
> mentioned at the very beginning of the page.
> http://www.misrolas.com/downloadmusic/album.php?id=1316

Each of those tracks from other albums and each of those albums could
be microformatted on their own album pages, where more complete info
is available.  With only the tracks in the relevant album remaining,
the same album-track grouping above would work.

> Does that help clarify the difference between a sparse grouping and a
> non-sparse grouping?

Yes.  I think what makes these all "sparse" is secondary information
that can be left alone or microformatted on more relevant pages while
we microformat enough useful information to address the audio-info
problem statement.  We shouldn't feel compelled to microformat
everything.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com