[uf-new] First attempt at hAudio proposal

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed May 2 14:22:08 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> >> Maybe... but every attempt at doing so has been shot down to date. Read
> >> the previous threads. Please propose a solution if you think differently.
> >
> > The last message in those threads begins with "hAtom as a transport for
> > music-downloads makes loads of sense to me."  I don't see where hAtom
> > was "shot down."
>
> We are not talking about music downloads. We are talking about audio
> recordings. This is a very important distinction to make! It was decided
> that hAtom WOULD be fine for music downloads as long as there was
> something like hAudio encapsulated inside hAtom to describe the music.
>
> hAudio is designed to be nested inside hAtom (which should only be used
> for syndication).

Pardon? Where did you find a rule that hAtom should only be used for
syndication? "hAtom is a microformat for content that can be
syndicated, primarily but not exclusively weblog postings. " [1]. That
is, hAtom is about marking up certain types of content. It's _not_ a
syndication format and for various reasons, I tend to think it's a bad
idea to use it for that.

And you don't have to nest; you could also potentially overlay.

> > price -> new class="price", or defer in first draft
>
> Price does not belong in hAtom. Where are the examples backing up that
> hAtom should be extended to include price?

If you're defining a new uF the lays on hAtom, you don't need to extend hAtom.

Regards, etc...

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom

--
David Janes