[uf-new] First attempt at hAudio proposal

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue May 8 07:17:29 PDT 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
> As an FYI, the hCalendar and iCalendar spec already have a DURATION
> property. This could suffice for any Media format. If you choose to
> use class="duration" then it should be the same semantics as the
> hCalendar.

Thanks Brian - I was unaware that they used ISO 8601. The main reason we
decided not use the full ISO 8601 format was because we were under the
impression that hAudio would be the first Microformat using it and we
didn't want to create a steep implementation curve for hAudio.

Since hCalendar uses "duration" as well, we are going to assume that a
full ISO 8601 parser will be available and thus adopt ISO 8601
completely for hAudio's 'duration' field. The semantics between
hCalendar and hAudio are the same as far as I can tell.

We will still suggest (not require) that ISO 8601 mark-up occur in
seconds (it is compact, is all we need for audio and video, and will
hopefully make the first implementations a little easier).

The hAudio wiki page has been updated:

http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Duration