[uf-new] hAudio Test

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Fri May 11 05:38:25 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> It would be nice if someone could say they get what I am trying to
> do or
> that it doesn't make sense so comments and criticism are welcome.
>
> http://weborganics.co.uk/haudio

> <!-- this is the unique id of our collection using MusicBrainz
> release ID http://musicbrainz.org/release/235b1044-03ae-4dc3-
> ba57-9f30230bba22.html , in my aural style sheet I have .uid{speak:
> none;} -->

Aural style sheets aren't supported by most screen readers, so this
will be read aloud.  More generally, if data isn't appropriate for
humans, it doesn't belong in a microformat.  Microformats are for
humans first.

What is the purpose of the title here?  It looks redundant.

> <!-- Title is the title of our collection. -->
> 	<a class="url" href="http://www.downloadpunk.com/?
> webaction=AlbumDetail&amp;albumid=13202">Fifty Million People Can't
> Be Wrong</a>

It's also the job title of our hCard, which looks like an unintended
consequence to using an established class name to communicate a new
meaning.

This item-collection markup looks redundant, as the exact same
relationship can be inferred from song-album markup.

> Duration: <span class="duration" title="447"><dfn class="value
> end">3:41</dfn></span>
> <!-- *note*  title="447" this is marked as the end of the second
> track and total time elapsed since the start of our tile it gives
> an idea where an episode might begin and end on a long podcast -->

I don't understand this.  It looks like humans are being told one
thing and machines another.  Also, why is this going into the note of
the hCard?  Is this hCard for the song or the musician?  Songs don't
need hCards, and musicians don't need song durations in their notes.

This looks wrong.  The contributor should be the hCard, not the role.

That's probably enough for now.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com