[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu May 31 07:17:17 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 12:56 +0000, Brian Suda wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> > There are only two things that are strongly supported by the
> > audio-info-examples right now. Audio albums and audio podcasts
> > (collections of audio). Here are the options:
> >
> > Option #1: audio-album/audio-podcast as a container
> >
> > Option #2: audio-album/audio-album-item as container/subcontainer
> >
> > Option #3: audio-collection (instead of audio-album/audio-podcast)
> >
> > Feedback on each option or proposal of new options would be helpful.
>
> --- firstly, microformats are not a "how should we do this" it is more
> of a "how are things already being done?"
>
> Your use of audio-album could cause problems later in the semantic
> meaning, iTunes has many celebrity playlists, which are not actually
> ALBUMS, but are a collection of related songs. The term podcast seems
> very 2005, in 4 years will we still use 'podcats' maybe, maybe not?

I think manu was just trying to be obvious in his descriptions.

> What ever happened to working on the media-format? this seems like a
> similar problem to DVD chapters, and other multi-media issues?

I agree that maybe we have been too far down this path that the
discussion around separating audio, video, and images and then tackling
Media info has gone stale and maybe not the right direction to chose, we
can no longer see the "cow path" never-mind pave it

I vote for moving this discussion back to media info, and go from there,
I am not saying that this discussion has been a waste of time indeed far
from it we have discovered many of the main elements needed of any media
info proposal

fn,
contributor,
role's speaker, artist, composer, band, publisher,
published-date.
rel-sample rel-enclosure and rel-payment,
image-summary,
category,
duration,
price,

you can add type atributes, audio/mpeg, image/jpeg, video/mpeg, or any
other type listed at IANA or here:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type
and we would be somewhere near hMedia

later we can find ways to mark up  codec, sample rate, channels, bitrate
for audio, and codec, aspect, and fps for video and we will be done.

so how about we move this on?