[uf-new] [hAudio] fn _or_ album

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Nov 5 09:27:34 PST 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 08:14 -0700, Scott Reynen wrote:
>>> A track unknown album, detailed:
>>>      <abbr class="duration" title="PT3M24S">3:24</abbr>
>> That adds an extra layer of container where none really exists.
>> Item
>> of what?  We're only talking about a single song here, so why can't
>> publisher just focus on that song without wrapping a container
>> around
>> it?  Not every song even belongs to an album, so it's not just
>> unknown
>> albums this would be forcing publishers to markup; it's also non-
>> existent albums.
>
> Yeh I thought that item  it wasn't needed too, but In the concept of
> haudio, hAudio isnt a track Its an Album

Ah-ha! Here is the issue with this thread. You are assuming that hAudio,
by default, is an album. It is absolutely not. I thought we had
addressed this issue, but quite clearly we have not.

hAudio does not default to being a track or an album. You seem to claim
one or the other when we talk about this topic and I think you are
missing something very fundamental about hAudio.

hAudio is not about TRACKS or ALBUMS by default. hAudio is about an
audio recording. This is the fundamental underpinning to hAudio.

We cannot move forward in this thread until everybody agrees that hAudio
is about an audio recording.

A track is an audio recording. An album is an audio recording. However,
to say that hAudio is an album by default is wrong. hAudio is an audio
recording by default. ONLY when ALBUM is specified do we know that the
hAudio is about an audio recording that is an album.

>       <abbr class="duration" title="PT3M24S">3:24</abbr>
>
> There is no way to know if this is a Track, also FN is apearing out of
> context because FN is a child of Item when describing tracks in hAudio

Yes, that is correct. Remember, we killed the concept of a TRACK. There
is no such thing anymore. The only thing that we know about the above
example is that the hAudio is describing an audio recording.

hAudio has the concept of an audio recording.

hAudio has the concept of an audio recording that is an album.

> Is hAudio to be regarded as a track too?

hAudio is an audio recording. Don't use the term TRACK as that is
leading to confusion, people might think that you mean the TRACK
proposal of a couple of weeks ago.

> It would be nice if we could do something like

>       <abbr class="duration" title="PT3M24S">3:24</abbr>
>
> To describe a single track Item and hAudio have identical meaning in
> this context?

ITEM isn't needed in this case, you'd write it as the following:

   <abbr class="duration" title="PT3M24S">3:24</abbr>

The hAudio above is about an audio recording. That is all we know.

It could be about a track, a song, a podcast, an opera, a sound effect,
an audio book, or a poem. We don't know... but what we do know is that
it is about an audio recording.