[uf-new] Bank Account numbers

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Thu Nov 29 10:23:06 PST 2007

Thom,

I am very interested in looking into the value of such an idea.

I have been researching the representation of bank account numbers in
XML for a standard organization in a recent past, have learnt about the
limitations of such an XML representation, and have been playing with
POSH representations of bank account numbers/identifiers. I would be
very happy to contribute my thoughts.

That said, I think we need to start with the "What are we trying to
accomplish" and "is a microformat relevant or only POSH".

Re: "What are we trying to accomplish" question: what application could
benefit from such a microformat? The one I can think of is
REST/(X)HTML-based financial messaging, for instance, sending a payment
message that would be both human and machine readable, and
URL-addressable. That seems quite a departure from the current highly
structured data structures and messaging practices of the financial
industry, so simply coming up with a new way of doing old things would
probably not be enough to drive adoption. We need a "killer app", even
if it is something that the bank account number is simply a building
block of. I would be curious to hear your ideas of killer applications
that such a bank account number microformat would specifically enable.

Re: "is a microformat relevant or only POSH" my thoughts on that is that
account numbers are usually not published on the public Web, and less
and less are even published on private Web spaces i.e. your Web banking
application or Paypal app (obfuscating identifiers such as XXXX-98989
are increasingly preferred). My understanding is that the microformat
community is more geared towards data on the public Web. I may have
simply misunderstood, but this aspect of bank account number may be a
non-starter for a microformat (which does not mean we can't take the
discussion elsewhere). Perhaps, more knowledgeable community members
could enlighten us on this particular question.

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume