[uf-new] Bank Account numbers

Thom Shannon thom at glow-internet.com
Thu Nov 29 09:38:01 PST 2007

has this been discussed before? I did have a look but couldn't find
anything.

I think it would be useful to have a way to markup bank account numbers,
they're usually made up of a couple of constituent parts like sort code
and account number (vary between countries). Since the growth of online
banking people are increasingly using bank transfers to move money
between friends and pay for goods and services (this is certainly true
in the UK at least). A microformat for account numbers would allow
people to act on the data in a page and avoid the terrible consequences
of getting a bank account number wrong! This could function as an
extension to the hCard format or stand alone, similar to adr.

I've not found any solutions already out there, it occured that a bank
account URL format would be very useful but the finance industry isn't
usually

What do people think? Is there enough of a pattern in account number
formats that we could have a simple standard. Is this a problem that
Microformats should solve? Should I just go away? :)