[uf-new] hAudio proposal: ITEM/TRACK

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sun Oct 14 20:20:06 PDT 2007

Scott Reynen wrote:
>> How would you show the artist and duration of that track, using the
>> latter model?
>
> We wouldn't.  I see now that Manu's recent definition of text-only
> track's "(which will be the FN of an hAudio object)" is more restrictive
> than the (lack of) definition in the wiki [1].  My suggestion would only
> work under this more restrictive definition.  Do we have use cases in
> mind for unstructured plain-text tracks?  I've forgotten why we included
> that option in the first place.

Plain-text tracks are being considered for two reasons:

1. It eases the markup needed for publishers. The less mark-up required,
the better.
2. Music bloggers use that approach[1] quite often for marking up albums
and songs in free-flowing paragraphs.

Looks like we have two approaches so far for the hAudio "container":

Approach #1 ITEM+HAUDIO:

       <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>
       <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>

Approach #2 HAUDIO-only:

       <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>
       <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>

I'm leaning more towards approach #1 if we don't use TRACK. The second
approach would confuse haudio's that are referred to in an haudio
description as a "contains song" relationship on the haudio when they
really just have a "sounds like" relationship. For example:

       The entire
       is done in the same style as the following song called
       by a completely different artist and on a completely different
       album. The first album is done by

The above example, using approach #2 would generate the wrong MicroModel
("Other Country Song" would be listed as contained in "Country Album",
when that wasn't the publishers intent). This is bad because the style
of the paragraph above is used quite often in music blogs or when
reviewing music.

Scott, Andy - do each of you have further thoughts on approach #1
(assuming we can change the definition for ITEM)? Would it be acceptable
to either of you?

-- manu

[1] http://wiki.digitalbazaar.com/demos/scissorkick/scissorkick.html