[Audio] Playlists and Albums (was: Re: [uf-new] item property)

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 17:50:26 PDT 2007

Hello All

I have been observing this discussion for the last couple of days
because it was good to see how you were all taking the proposition to
use ITEM instead of TRACK and to find out what you all make of it.

First I will say Is That my interpretation of TRACK is name for a
separation of content.
In a digital media such as a CD, the elements could be "block", "PCM",
"frame", "channel", "bytes" etc
NONE or which are existent in hAudio

TRACK in the way Some on the list mean it is current popular slang for
what is a composition or a song the stuff you actually hear through your
speakers or read about on the Internet, very nice in your retro 50s to
80s world when you were buying the latest groovy track by Cliff Richard
but... the world has moved on
Vinyl has almost vanished accept to DJ's, and CD's bit the bullet around
the time that broadband hit everyone's homes so what exactly are you
calling a track? what will a track be in the near future?
To me as non-existent as Vinyl and CD's
If we are going to use Slang to mark up hAudio why not class="choon" its
as good a word as any?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=choon

all I have to go on is the Field definition on the wiki
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Track
and the principles of designing microformats
http://microformats.org/wiki/principles

"TRACK"

A container for another hAudio item.

and

The element MUST be processed opaquely. No sub-elements should be read
from any hAudio contained in a track element.

says it all really It suggests that we need only a container that means
nothing only:

      * that it is a block of something,
      * and that this is treated as something that has unique property's
        relating to itself.

The Principles of designing new Microformats are

      * Use POSH first

that was tried using ol li ul li didn't work in tables

      * RE-USE existing Microformats

as far as i know there is only one existing microformat that matches our
description

ITEM found in hReview and hListing

As well as various design patterns within our own community We currently
have two different types of microformats:

      * Compound microformats They generally use a combination of
        several class and/or rel attributes.
        http://microformats.org/wiki/compound
      * Elemental microformats They generally use a single class or rel
        attribute.http://microformats.org/wiki/elemental-microformat

I know all of you should know this (for those who are new)

I am suggesting that ITEM belongs to a THIRD set of microformats called
Composite Microformats

Composites perform the function of either

      * a span <span class="item fn">Parking space</span> (an elemental)
        http://microformats.org/wiki/hlisting#Simple_Listing

      * a div  <div class="item vcard"> [...] (a compound)
        http://microformats.org/wiki/hreview#Multidimensional_Restaurant_Review

Composites have the ability to define context and/or composition
depending on the way they are used

David Janes as far as I know discovered the existence of composite
microformats in our community
http://microformats.org/wiki/item#3._As_a_composite

In hAudio ITEM gives us the ability to mark up hAudio like this:

[1]

no need to reiterate haudio on the item class, context and composition
is the important thing, like divs and spans ITEM inherits the properties
of hAudio.

[2]

Just hAudio

[3]

  [...]
  [...]

in a hreview

the only question you can ask about the above can we nest items within
each other:

  [...]

  [...]

...?

hAudio marked up in the above ways makes hAudio flexible, usable, and
hopefully be used still in few years time.

Comments?

Thanks

Martin