[Audio] Playlists and Albums (was: Re: [uf-new] item property)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Oct 16 18:06:49 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> The first thing I spotted was that someone seems to have spammed the
> word "track" 100's of times all over our model examples and results,
> making them as far as i can see unusable, Vandalized almost

Martin, I wish you had said something before going and doing all that
hard work (not that it wasn't useful).

The site is not vandalized, I used those names when merging from the
old, manual way of doing things to the new Microformalyze way of doing
things. There was no data loss. There were numerous namespace collisions
between the terms we were using to identify properties for albums and
tracks.

For example, we had used "title" to denote the name for albums and
tracks... obviously, if we merged both records, we wouldn't be able to
tell which one was the album title and which one was the track title...
so I wrote a script to convert it to "album title" and "track title".
There is no foul play going on here... however, if you think there is,
you're more than welcome to quadruple check the work (it has already
been triple checked).

Whether track or choon is used on the examples page, however, is of no
consequence to the discussion. The names on the examples pages have
almost nothing to do with the names that we pick for the actual proposal.

When analyzing websites on any examples page, we must ensure that we use
common property names when performing the analysis of the data. We need
to perform apples-to-apples comparisons. In other words, if we say that
websites A and B have PROPERTY_FOO, then we will use PROPERTY_FOO across
analysis write-ups to denote if the websites do or do not have PROPERTY_FOO.

I decided to use track because it was the most obvious choice (to me) at
the time... however, that decision has no bearing on the current discussion.